Saturday, November 16, 2013

AUCTIONS ARE ODD

I've always known that the business of buying and selling what I call 'stuff'', whether it be antiques, collectibles, or everyday junk, is subject to the whims of buyers and sellers.  I remember a Tiffany lamp I had one time that dozens of people told me was over-priced, until the day someone bought it and thanked me for giving him such a bargain. 

Today at an estate auction in Freehold I got another couple of samples.  They sold a very nice small fiberglass sailboat, about 16-18 feet, in excellent condition, with a trailer, for $275!!!  The trailer's worth that much.  This thing was pristine, having obviously been kept under cover in a barn.  It was all I could do not to bid on it at that ridiculous price, but I'm an indifferent sailor, and my canoe is perfectly capable of dunking me, thank you very much.

On the other end of the scale, they sold a polished rectangular block of some heavy wood, about 12"x6"x3", obviously a doorstop, for $45!!!

All day long, things went for too much or too little.  I got a couple of box lots for $15 each, on the too little end of the scale.  What a business.

No comments:

Post a Comment