Sunday, June 2, 2013


HEAT WAVE
 
After years of listening to my friends carping all winter about the cold (while I was perfectly comfortable in a light jacket, of course), I decided I’d find out once and for all what was so alluring about hot weather.  The shift into the current heat wave was quite abrupt, and I decided to simply keep my windows open and the air conditioning off.  Now it’s not as though I was sitting in the house the whole time, you understand.  I had to be outside doing yard work or running errands most days anyway, but it got into the sun-blasted 90’s all week, and the house has a lot of windows facing West and South so it was quite toasty upstairs, even with the breeze. 
 
The astonishing thing is that it has turned out to be less onerous than I feared.  I spent my inside time downstairs for the most part where it was significantly cooler.  There are ceiling fans in most rooms, and what little cooking I do happens in the microwave.  I’ve done a little sweating, naturally, but that’s been good for the waistline, and I’ll be really pleased with myself when the next PSE&G bill arrives.
 
As I write this the weather front that has caused so much sorrow in the middle of the country is about to sweep through New Jersey and cool things off.  The real question for me will be what to do when the next heat wave arrives.  Will I go back to my normal summertime habit of being refrigerated when the thermometer climbs once again?  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment