Friday, January 3, 2014

NEW YEAR FIREWORKS

In keeping with my love of fireworks, and my determination to not sit home and watch them on the 'tube, I bought a deck pass for the battleship New Jersey, which is docked in Camden, across the river from the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, where she was built in 1942 and refitted in 1968.  Here's a file photo from their website: www.battleshipnewjersey.org.
 
 
I have a tenuous connection with the New Jersey.  During her 2nd world war service in the Pacific theater she was part of the command of one Admiral Marc A. Mitscher, and I served from '69-'71 aboard the destroyer (DDG35) named for Admiral Mitscher. 

Here's a shot of New Jersey's impressive guns from the foredeck.


But in any case, this night turns out not to have been one of my brightest choices, as it was frig-bloody-id.  They had a DJ out on deck, and the more inebriated of my temporary shipmates were dancing, but most of us were inside, in the officers' wardroom.  And another problem was the ship's high bow, which meant you could not see ahead from the main deck.  The fireworks barge was between us and the Ben Franklin bridge, which made it difficult to get a clear shot.  But I did get some.





 
 
It was fun swapping 'sea-stories' with the retired guys acting as docents, but I think next year I need a warmer place to party.  Also, I was disappointed that the fireworks did not involve the bridge.
 



In prior years, the bridge was a riot of dancing light and had waterfall fireworks pouring from the roadway.  Oh, well.  I guess the recession took another victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment