Monday, March 24, 2014

ODD GASTRONOMIC COMBINATION

Since an Indian conglomerate bought my company some years ago, I have developed a real appreciation for their cuisine.  So much so, in fact, that I am a regular patron of the Indian chain supermarket Subzi Mandi.  If you've never been in one, it's a real experience.  Now on one level it's fairly normal, with fresh veggies and frozen prepared foods, but there's a real emphasis on bulk goods.  In fact, there's an aisle; an entire long aisle, with nothing but bags of rice.  I would have never guessed there were so many types and brands of rice available.

But anyway.  I typically pick up almonds, golden raisins, and a handful of packages of my favorite ready-to-eat dishes.  Some, like patra and biryani are stand-alone side dishes for me, but others, like matar or palak paneers, are like many Indian dishes - somewhat soupy.  And then this weekend it hit me.  Since these preparations are like a sauce, why not use them as such?  I took some rigatoni I had previously boiled up al-dente and mixed in some palak paneer, a spicy spinach sauce with cubes of a sort of cottage cheese.  I added a few spoons of diced tomatoes, and ended up with a tasty and unique pasta dish.

Try it, you'll like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment