Sunday, December 1, 2013

SO THIS IS THE LIVING ROOM

I'm writing this from a place in the house that has seen very little use over the years - one of the recliner sections on the big white couch.  This imposing monster has been a hulking presence in our living room for over thirty years.  In fact, it's one of the reasons we had to move from the ranch on Expert Lane; there was too much furniture for that small space (plus Cynthia wanted an upstairs bedroom).


In any event, since we had few visitors, it has sat in glorious isolation as the centerpiece of her formal living room - more of an exhibition piece than furniture, really.  By the way, although I'm relaxing in it today (after a strenuous visit to NY over Friday and Saturday), there are no snacks or sodas.  I might be rebellious, but I'm not stupid.  If I had to clean one section, I'd have to do them all.

I'm hoping to not have the opportunity to express myself this way much longer; I've listed it on Craigslist.

By the way, for those of you that didn't catch the reference, the title paraphrases a commercial from some years ago where the tag line is 'so this is the dining room', another little-used room in many American houses.  Oddly enough, when I googled for the reference, all the items returned pointed to commercials for a play called 'The Dining Room'.  If anyone remembers what was actually being advertised in the original commercial, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment