Tuesday, April 15, 2014

TAX DAY

It pleases me to taunt those of you who are frantically trying to complete your annual struggle with the income tax by noting that not only am I long since done, but the refunds are already safely tucked away in the bank.  In fact, I was so in a hurry to be done that I was mightily unhappy when I realized that some 1099s weren't due until after the end of February.

Anyway, here's my favorite quote on taxes, from a fictional detective some would unkindly say I resemble:
A man condemning the income tax because of the annoyance it gives him or the expense it puts him to is merely a dog baring its teeth, and he forfeits the privileges of civilized discourse. But it is possible to criticize it on other and impersonal grounds. A government, like an individual, spends money for any or all of three reasons: because it needs to, because it wants to, or simply because it has it to spend. The last is much the shabbiest. It is arguable, if not manifest, that a substantial portion of the great spring flood of billions pouring into the Treasury will in effect get spent for the last shabby reason.
Nero Wolfe - And Be a Villain (1948)

And a final thought.  I've always heard it said that nothing's certain except death and taxes, but here's a refreshing take on the relationship 'tween the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment